Giving is powerful.
Participatory grantmaking is about shifting the immense power of funding decisions into the hands of the communities whose work they support.
It’s about recognising that funding creates a relationship, and that power imbalances in that relationship affect everything we do as grantees—planning, programme delivery, monitoring and evaluation, and ultimately the scope and focus of entire organisations.
Participatory grantmaking is a global movement to create grants that are truly community-led. That means they’re created by the communities they fund, and awareded and reported on by those same communities.
At Dragons Den 2023, we need your help to create our biggest stage yet for BAMER-led organisations to showcase their transformative work and secure the funding they deserve.
In 2022, we raised more than £100,000 and this year we’re on a mission to at least double that figure, pushing to £200,000 to re-distribute to our amazing BAMER-led non-profits.
Your presence and support at Dragons Den will support the diverse range of BAMER-led organisations who contribute to the prosperity and wellbeing of the most vulnerable and marginalised members of our society. The leaders of grassroots, community-led charities will be presenting their grant pitches on the day, and you’ll also have the chance to network with representatives from grant funders and charity sector consultants.
- Ticket type: Virtual
- Price: £10
- Benefits: Live streaming the event
- BAMER Concession Exclusive
- Ticket Price: £25
- Entrance at 5:30pm
- Attend One Networking Session
- Attend the Pitching and Award Ceremony
- BAMER Concession VIP Ticket Price: £50
- Allies and Supporters VIP Ticket Price: £70
- Entrance at 1pm
- Extended Networking Time with Funders
- Attend our Panel Discussion by Charity Sector Leaders
- Pitch Your Idea for Grant Opportunities
- Get an Exclusive Swag Bag
- Attend the Award Ceremony
- Ticket Price: £100
- VIP Experience
- 50% of your pledge directly funds BAMER-led non-profits
- Actively drive positive change through participatory grantmaking
By choosing the “Champion Supporter” ticket, you’re not only gaining exclusive VIP access to the event but also playing a pivotal role in driving impactful change.
1:00 pm – VIP ticket holders admission + Networking Session + nibbles, coffee, and tea
2:00 – 3:30 pm – Panel discussion: Participatory Grant-Making (guests TBA; VIP Experience Tickets)
VIP + Standard tickets
3:30 – 5:00 pm: General admission + Networking Session + Dinner
5:00 – 6:30 pm: Pitching Session
6:30 – 7:00 pm: Funders’ Deliberation (separate room), Raffle, and Voting
7:00 – 7:30 pm: Award Ceremony for AVOCADO+ and Grant Winners
7:30 – 8:00 pm: What’s Coming Next, Photos, and Close
8:00 pm – End
Dragons Den is designed to celebrate and showcase the inspiring work of some of the UK’s most outstanding nonprofits. All of them work with socially underrepresented people and are led by the communities they aim to serve.
The event, convened by Carol Akiwumi MBE since 2012, has connected the UK and International Grant makers with Black, Asian, Multi-ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) led organisations.
We are grateful to Arts Council England, BBC Children in Need, Comic Relief, CommUNITY Barnet, Edge Fund, Esmeé Fairbairn Foundation, The National Lottery Community Fund, The National Lottery Heritage Fund, Matrix Causes, The Pocressi Initiative, Prism The Gift Fund, Trust for London, The Tudor Trust, UK Community Foundations and others, for their support at the event over the years.
With grateful thanks also to the City Bridge Trust, The National Lottery Community Fund, and Salesforce.
Apply to Pitch Now!
Deadline: September 25,2023
- How to enter
- Applications must be made using the online application form and before 23:59 on Monday 25th September 2023. Applications not made in this way may not be considered.
- Money4YOU reserves the right to grant special permission for an alternative pitch application method on a case-by-case basis.
- Eligibility for entry
- Applications are open to Black, Asian, Multi-Ethnic, or Refugee (BAMER)-led organisations (70% of your trustees and 51%+ of your organisation must be BAMER) whose work benefits Londoners.
- The applicant organisation must be a UK-registered nonprofit with at least three committee or board members.
- The applicant must be able to supply a valid Charity Commission or Companies House registration number, and its governing documents.
- The applicant must have a valid VIP ticket booking for the 2023 Dragons Den event. Tickets are transferrable but not refundable. Details are included in your confirmation email or you can contact us at money4you.org/contact.
- The applicant must have attended the AVOCADO+ Accelerator Programme or be willing to attend from October 2023. For more information visit money4you.org/avocadoplus
- If selected to pitch, the applicant must attend the 2023 Dragons Den event in person.
- Choosing a winner
- Money4YOU will shortlist up to twelve organisations to go through to the final round.
- If selected for the final round, organisations will be invited to submit a pre-recorded video, no more than five minutes in length, by 23:59 on Monday 9th October 2023.
- Money4YOU reserves the right to deny the grant to the winning organisation should they not meet the entry criteria or if Money4YOU has concerns over the conduct of the organisation.
- The prize
- The prize is a cash grant to be announced at the 2023 Dragons Den event.
- Money4YOU reserves the right to change or withdraw this prize without notice.
- Further conditions may be placed on the prize following the receipt and review of the entering organisation’s application.
- Six months after the grant payment, winners will be required to submit a report and a video detailing the difference the grant has made.
- Limitation of liability
- Insofar as is permitted by law, Money4YOU, its agents and distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- Data protection and publicity
- By entering, you agree that any personal information you provide with your entry may be held and used by Money4YOU or its agents and suppliers to administer the competition.